Can I use a 5V port on the I/O PCB to directly run the P and D Driver inputs? - DDCSV3.1 Standalone CNC Motion Controller - Digital Dream Technology support
View: 11544|Reply: 21
Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Can I use a 5V port on the I/O PCB to directly run the P and D Driver inputs?

[Copy Link]

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
Jump to the specified floor
Landlord
Posted at 2021-4-13 12:57:46 | Only Author Replies reward |Descending browser |Read mode
Hello DDCSV3.1 Experts,
Forgive my dumb question but I was wondering if I could just hook up the 5VDC Stepper Driver inputs to a suitable Output port on the double row I/O Port PCB.
Previously I had these inputs wired in a 'daisy chain' configuration when using earlier SMC 4-4 modules with a 5VDC output ability.
There appears to be no such 5VDC output for this purpose. I think my Stepper Drivers would not like 24VDC on the P and D inputs!

As I understand it, the pulses from the controller go to the Stepper Driver modules' P and D inputs and, depending on the logic, either pull the input up or down to operate the motors.
The only limitation I can think of is the current limit available to run these eight ports, 1P and 1D for each axis, namely A, X, Y and Z.

Also, I note that the manual says this Dual Row I/O port PCB requires 2 x 24V supplies due to different, possibly noisy ground levels.
Has anyone tried to run the PCB with one very powerful 24V power supply connected to the 24V input and the adjacent Com+ input?

The connection protocol for this PCB is pretty hard for this amateur to figure out and, while there are some good images in the Digital Dream manual, they don't seem to cover all the bases.
I have not been able to find a complete schematic, showing connections for all 6 of my axis limit microswitches, connecting the VFD for my Spindle, etc., etc.

Finally, I'm not sure of the significance of the double++ and double-- after X, Y, Z etc. Does this pertain to limit switches alone?

As you can see, I am at a loss as to how to correctly configure this controller and any help or comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Scintilla.

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits
Sofa
Posted at 2021-4-14 09:40:24 | Only Author
I have not been able to find a complete schematic, showing connections for all 6 of my axis limit microswitches, connecting the VFD for my Spindle, etc., etc.--- --First, do you plan to install 6 limit microswitches  on your Motion controller DDCS V3.1 3 axis?  Second, the VFD specifiction is different from various manufacturers, we can not give all the examples in the manual, but the general method is pretty much the same. If you have any question about VFD wiring, you can send  your own VFD model  manual to sales@ddcnc.com  or info@ddcnc.com, we will tell you after referring to it carefully.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits
Bench
Posted at 2021-4-14 09:47:52 | Only Author
I note that the manual says this Dual Row I/O port PCB requires 2 x 24V supplies due to different, possibly noisy ground levels.
Has anyone tried to run the PCB with one very powerful 24V power supply connected to the 24V input and the adjacent Com+ input?-----It is better to use 2 separate 24V power supply, namely when you are using a MPG. Because one 24v  power supply supply is for the system power, the other 24v power supply is for the I/O power. Or not , your MPG can not work properly.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits
Floor
Posted at 2021-4-14 09:58:48 | Only Author
Finally, I'm not sure of the significance of the double++ and double-- after X, Y, Z etc. Does this pertain to limit switches alone?-----Sorry, I can not decipher what 's your purpose here. For limit switch or rather proximity sensor, if you have installed them on your machine, as you said ,6 pcs, that is ok. Your configuration of Limit signal or Home signal is based on your wiring on the terminal block. You can choose Limit signal or Home signal as your "zero source".When you choose Limit signal, it just means it will do "HOME"  referring to your proximity sensor position as a "zero point" and it will ignore the "home signal".
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
5#
 Author| Posted at 2021-4-17 14:26:08 | Only Author
Hello ShaniaDDream,
Thanks for your kind reply.
I have installed 6 limit switches for X, Y, and Z, one each for the maximum and minimum travel. I have wired them as normally open. They all work properly and I think I now need to connect each of them, X+, X-, Y+, Y-, Z+, Z-, all to switch to Com-,  (Pin 1 on 2nd layer) when actuated.
I do not understand the difference between X- and X--. Why are there two dashes?
Also, there is a misprint on page 14 which has  2nd layer pin 9 and pin 10 confused.

I have ordered a second 24V supply as you recommend. Thanks for clearing up this question.

My VFD is a Chinese (no English name) with only RS485 text and is 220V 1.5kW / 7A board. The ports are labelled 'AVI', '+10V ', 'Com' , 'FWD.'
I think AVI is the speed control 0-10V which should go to Pin 2 on Layer 1. I do not know what AVI means.  
I think 'Com goes to Pin 1 on Layer 2.
I think 'FWD' should go to Pin23 (Start Spindle) on Layer 2.
I think I do not use +10V because this is a supply for an earlier breakout board.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits
6#
Posted at 2021-4-20 09:51:33 | Only Author
My VFD is a Chinese (no English name) with only RS485 text and is 220V 1.5kW / 7A board. The ports are labelled 'AVI', '+10V ', 'Com' , 'FWD.'
I think AVI is the speed control 0-10V which should go to Pin 2 on Layer 1. I do not know what AVI means.  
I think 'Com goes to Pin 1 on Layer 2.
I think 'FWD' should go to Pin23 (Start Spindle) on Layer 2.
I think I do not use +10V because this is a supply for an earlier breakout board.----- I am not sure about your Pin's definition of "AVI "and"+10V" , if "AVI" is for spindle analog output voltage 0~10V, then you use this pin to connect with VSO ( Pin2 on Lay1); "COM“ on your VFD is to connect COM- (Pin1 on Layer2); and FWD on your VFD is to connect with M3( Pin21 on Layer2 ), Just for your reference.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits
7#
Posted at 2021-4-20 09:59:23 | Only Author
I do not understand the difference between X- and X--    ------"Limit X- " and "Limit X--" are the same, normally it will be marked as "Limit X--";since there is not much space on the terminal block,  it is marked shorter as "Limit X-".
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
8#
 Author| Posted at 2021-4-20 12:57:04 | Only Author
Thanks again for your kind help   Greatly appreciated!
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Registered member

Credits
9#
 Author| Posted at 2021-4-26 16:36:10 | Only Author
Hello again, Shania,
I now have my machine working and nearly everything works well. I have a couple of issues you might be able to help me with. I am currently running Version 2020-03-06-11.
All axes (X, Y, Z and A) work fine in both directions. All limit switches work fine, (wired NO, my preference). The Spindle also works on Manual but I have not tried it on Module Control yet. One step at a time...

Problem 1: The MPG seems to be dead. No lights or activity. My main E Stop is wired NO. The MPG, according to line 429 I think, is at default Low so it keeps the machine triggered OFF. When I use my USB keyboard to change it to High I only have a row 0f 00000s.
I checked the voltages: 2 x 12V as recommended and the MPG voltage between pins 1 and 8 is exactly 5V as specified.

Problem 2: I cannot find in the manual the procedure for entering new parameters. When I click on the blue item it goes pale and does not respond. My keyboard seems to work but the mouse does not show a cursor or any effect.

I think the problem is surely in my ignorance of these processes so any help would be much appreciated.
The unit seems to be really well made and I want to learn to get the best out of it.  

Best wishes from
Scintilla
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

Threads

Credits

Intermediate Member

Credits
10#
Posted at 2021-4-27 08:51:01 | Only Author
First question, are you using the standard MPG that went with the parcel. If they were sent from our factory directly, they would all be tested well before shipping. Secondly, are you using 2 separate 24V power supply as the manual, one for the system, and the other for the I/O power supply, please double checking the wiring port for "system power" and "I/O power" port on the terminal block.  Third, please check the parameter #432 standard MPG electric siganl level, please choose 0=low, if your setting is 1= high, then change it to 0.  And also parameter #448 MPG control mode, please choose 1=close. If yours is 0=open, then change it to 1. Four, please make sure your are using the MPG in the "MPG" mode, if not, press "Mode" to shift the "Cont" or "Step" to "MPG" mode" That's all, you can try it again.
Reply Support Opposition

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

This forum Credits Rules

Shenzhen Digital Dream Numerical Technology Co., Ltd. support
Adress:507,A Building,Leibo Industry Zone,No. 22 Jinxiu East Road,Kengzi Street,Pingshan district,Shenzhen City,P.R. of China
Phone:13244704799
E-mail:info@ddcnc.com

TEL

0755-87654321

Wchat

Website designed by DigitalDream Technology Support
Quick Reply Back to top Back to list