Al Michaels talks Super Bowl prep best advice hes received - DM500 - Handheld 3-4 Axis CNC Moiton Contr - Digital Dream Technology support
View: 249|Reply: 0
Print Previous Topic Next Topic

Al Michaels talks Super Bowl prep best advice hes received

[Copy Link]

Threads

Credits

Forum veteran

Credits
Jump to the specified floor
Landlord
Posted at 2024-1-9 14:09:55 | Only Author Replies reward |Descending browser |Read mode
Al Michaels talks Super Bowl prep, best advice he's received   Published: Jan 24, 2018 at 09:05 AM           Ed Sherman NFL.com Contributing Writer                          This is a telling barometer of how long Al Michaels has been involved with the . When Michaels, along with Jim Lampley, handled ABC's pregame, halftime and postgame duties for IX between San Francisco and Miami in 1985, his analysts were Tom Landry and O.J. Simpson.     "Think about that," Michaels said.     Thirty-three years later, Michaels is gearing up to work on NBC's coverage of LII next week. He will reach a milestone of sorts by doing play-by-play for his 10th ; his first on the call was XXII in 1988. Pat Summerall, who did play-by-play for 11 Super Bowls, is the only other announcer in double-digits in that category; he did 16 overall, including 4 as an analyst and 1 as a sideline reporter.     "I can't believe it," Michaels said. "It's really a ble sing to do it this long."     Of course, that begs a question Michaels figures to hear several times next week in Minneapolis: How many more Super Bowls does he have in him? Michaels, who turned Drew Smyly Jersey  73 in November, is well aware the clock is ticking on a transcendent career in sports broadcasting.     However, Michaels insists he still is a ways away from delivering any farewell speeches.        "I believe it was Marv Levy who said, 'Whenever you think about retiring, you're already retired,'" Michaels said. "That's always stuck with me, because  Kosuke Fukudome Jersey it's true. My brain feels like it is 19, and my body on most days feels really good. I really love what I do, and I work with the greatest people in the busine s. That gives me a tremendous boost."     When the time does come, Michaels would like to exit like his old partner John Madden did. With no advance fanfare, the long-time analyst retired in 2009 after working XLIII with Michaels.     "John still was as good as he ever had been, but he said, 'It's time,'" Michaels said. "They won't have to tell me it's time. Maybe they will, but I think I'll know before anyone else. I'm very hard on myself. If I can't do it the way I want to do it, I'll step aside."     Here's another gauge on Michael's longevity. Cris Collinsworth only was a fourth-year receiver for Cincinnati when Michael worked the 1985 . Collinsworth, who has shared the NBC booth with Michaels for nine years, insists his partner still is at the top of his game. He scoffs at any retirement talk.     "Al might retire at 167," Collinsworth said. "I'm more worried about me fading than Al. He's a bundle of energy. He is a genius. He is amazing at what he does."     Part of Michaels' legacy will include several iconic calls at the . He called Scott Norwood's mi sed field goal, denying Buffalo a title in XXV. There was St. Louis linebacker Mike Jones making the game-saving tackle on Tenne see's Kevin Dyson in XXXIV.     In XLIII, he saw Pittsburgh's Santonio Holmes had both feet in-bounds for the last-second winning touchdown over Arizona. Then in XLIX, Michaels had to react quickly when New England's made an improbable goal-line interception to allow New England to escape over Seattle.        Michaels relishes the sensation when the is on the line, and the entire country is listening to his call.     "You feel like every synapse of your brain is working," Michaels said. "There's tremendous clarity. It's almost like you're really feeling it in the booth. Maybe you slow it down by a tenth of a second. Naturally, you want to make sure you get it right."     Michaels also has experience from the other perspective in working s that turn into blowouts. Washington ran up a 35-10 halftime lead  Kris Bryant Jersey over Denver in XXII, forcing Michaels and analysts Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf to fill for most of the second half.     Michaels says he "over-prepares" for every game, but that's especially the case for the . He estimates he uses about 8-10 percent of the material he compiles in advance of the game.     "You have to fold in the stories to where the game takes you," Michaels said. "It's like preparing for a disaster. You don't want to have to go there, but you know the escape route."     Michaels still remembers the Ben Zobrist Jersey  feeling he had on that 1988 morning in San Diego. "I thought to myself, 'How cool is this? I get to call the ,'" he said.     Michaels knows he will feel the same way when he awakes on Sunday in Minneapolis. It goes back to something Curt Gowdy told him early in his career: "Don't ever get jaded."     Michaels says he takes that piece of advice to heart. Even after all those years and all the big sporting events he has called, Michaels can't wait to get to the next one.        "I still love sports," Michaels said. "I still love the drama. I love that when you go to the stadium, you don't know what's going to happen. The fact is, anything can happen. I love that."     Two tough guys: ESPN's latest , "The Two Bills" (Thursday, Feb. 1, 9 p.m. ET) features riveting character studies of Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells. The film examines their long and complicated relationship, dating back to when Belichick worked on Parcells' staff with the .     NFL Films producer Ken Rodgers scored a coup by getting both men to sit together in the locker room to discu s their ups-and-downs through the years.     "To say that Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells have strong personalities would be a huge understatement," said Rodgers. "When we set out to make this film, our number one goal was to find out how these two strong-willed coaches, with such determined individual viewpoints, could work together for as long as they did. But by the time we were done, we couldn't imagine them not working together for all those years. Their histories and philosophies are more intertwined than we could have imagined. We're thrilled they chose to share that history with all of us."     The documentary features interviews with Lawrence Taylor, Robert Kraft, Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, Scott Pioli, Ty Law, and more.     Social justice: NFL Network presents a series of player social justice features in partnership with the NFL's newly launched . It begins Thursday with safety and his work with the Upper Darby Police Department. The feature on Jenkins will air on NFL Network's at 7 a.m. ET and NFL Total Acce s at 6 p.m. ET.     NFL Network's feature on Jenkins, along with upcoming segments on safety and wide receiver , is in partnership with the NFL's Let's Listen Together Ernie Banks Jersey  initiative, a campaign designed to promote engagement among players, owners, local leaders and communities on social justice and equality. Each week, NFL Network features exceptional players who advocate for social justice in their communities in partnership with the initiative.          This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be mi sing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an i sue.
Click here Click here Click here

Use props Report

You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

This forum Credits Rules

Shenzhen Digital Dream Numerical Technology Co., Ltd. support
Adress:507,A Building,Leibo Industry Zone,No. 22 Jinxiu East Road,Kengzi Street,Pingshan district,Shenzhen City,P.R. of China
Phone:13244704799
E-mail:info@ddcnc.com

TEL

0755-87654321

Wchat

Website designed by DigitalDream Technology Support
Quick Reply Back to top Back to list